A New Paradigm in Drug Development
A completely new approach to drug discovery and development
Our pipeline includes treatments for Psoriasis, Liver Cancer (Hepatitis B, NASH and HCC), Ophthalmic Diseases, Cytokine Release Syndrome- a side effect in CAR-T, Prevention of Relapse/Recurrence in Leukemias, and other diseases.
Our microbiome-derived drugs are derived from natural substances, and enable a new platform for developing treatments which have the potential to treat over 85 chronic inflammatory diseases currently afflicting patients; providing safer treatments than current therapies.
Our proprietary discovery process matches metabolites and adjuvants to treat specific indications caused by chronic inflammation. This approach results in much faster drug development and much faster clinical development, with higher probabilities for success.
Our first drug is an oral treatment for psoriasis
• Oral drug (tablet or capsule)
• Extended release
• Twice per day dosing (potential for once daily)
• Low side-effect profile; not an MAB, no antibodies
• Low cost of goods
• Can be combined with marketed drugs to lower side effects and increase overall efficacy
Summary of the Psoriasis Market Landscape
• Current treatments are expensive
• Follow-up healthcare burden, testing and follow-up cost is high
• Co-morbidity is high (potential to treat with the same SFA drug)
• Efficacy is not always sustained; patients often need to switch therapies
• Patient, prescriber and payer satisfaction is low
• “Patients are afraid to try current treatments”- the market is underserved
SFA’s drug addresses major unmet needs in the psoriasis market
In a small case-controlled human trial, a Proof of Activity treatment effect was observed.
A Phase 2A Proof of Concept trial is planned for 2018-2019.
Our second drug candidate is focused on Hepatitis B, NASH and Hepatocellular Carcinoma
In-vitro data demonstrated a significant reduction in both the number of hepatocellular carcinoma tumors and in tumor sizes, in HBX mice.
CEO: Dr. Ira Spector Experienced drug developer at Wyeth, Pfizer, Allergan & ICON, has been involved with 33 NDAs & 12 medical devices. Co-founder of 3 startups. PhD, University of Medicine & Dentistry, NJ, MBA, Drexel University, B.S. Physics, B.S. E.E., Washington University, St. Louis.
CSO: Dr. Mark Feitelson Co-inventor; Professor at Temple University, expert in hepatitis and liver cancer; prior research at Jefferson Fox Chase & Stanford University. PhD, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, B.S. Biology, University of California, Irvine.
CDO: Dr. Alla Arzumanyan Co-inventor; Assistant Professor at Temple University, formerly at Jefferson University; expert in hepatitis B & GI microbiome metabolites. PhD, Yerevan State University, Armenia.
• Dr. Chris Gallen, MD, PhD, CEO, WEX Pharmaceuticals
• Mr. David Kunin, ex-FDA, Regulatory Affairs Advisor
• Ms. Sandra Stoneman, Duane Morris, Corporate Counsel
• Mr. Jordan Warshafsky, Ashton Tweed
• Mr. Donald Fishbein, Evolve Therapeutics, Commercial Development Advisor
• Dr. Nguyen Quang, Riverside Law, IP Attorney
• Dr. Michelle Glasky-Bergman and Mr. Louis Cullen, K&L Gates, IP Counsel
• Dr. Roger Porter, Pharmacology Scientific Advisor
• Dr. Gerald Fischer, Toxicology Scientific Advisor
• Dr. Mahdi Fawzi, Formulations Advisor
• Mr. Charles Bernhardt, Financial Advisor
• External advisors accessible in research, finance, ophthalmology, dermatology, clinical trial design, biostatistics, and rheumatology
• Deep network based on 25+ years of contacts and relationships
Eight provisional patents filed:
1. Cancer Prevention in Liver Disease (PCT status)
2. Treatment of Psoriasis and Associated Skin Diseases
3. Combination Therapy in Psoriasis/Skin Diseases
4. Oral Drug for the Treatment of Uveitis
5. Prevention of AutoImmune Diseases in C-Section Neonates
6. Adjuvant to Immunotherapy (CAR-T Cytokine Release Syndrome)
7. Prevention of Relapse/ Recurrence in Leukemias
8. Omnibus patent for over 60 chronic inflammatory indications
Recent Presentation on YouTube:
Recent Broadcast Interview- SFA Therapeutics on Money-Matters TV:
New Article About SFA Therapeutics and It's Founder